Question

marymaryqc

Passport stolen abroad- worried about identity theft.
I'm an American living in China for the next few months, and my passport, debit card, cash, and other forms of ID were stolen last week. In addition to the enormous hassle of replacing my passport and Chinese visa, I'm concerned about identity theft. After trashing my credit in my late teens, I've worked very hard to get my credit back up to half-way decent levels, and within the last few months, I was FINALLY starting to see some progress. Now I'm afraid that my years of hard work will be destroyed. I want to monitor the situation very carefully, so that I can respond to identity theft immediately if it occurs, but I am not sure how to do that. Do newly opened accounts appear on Credit Karma immediately, or is there some other resource I should monitor for new activity? Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

One other thing.

Get ahold of your banks and credit card companies and cancel all your cards.They should be able to overnight you any cards you need.Good luck.

Notify the US Consulate immediately.

I assume you've already done this.Then get ahold of all 3 credit agnecies and put a lock on your accounts.Nobody can open new accounts in your name.I believe this is free for the first 90 days but you can lenghten it.

Online Mointoring

Sign up immediately with an online credit mointoring services. I'm currently with Experian but all three bureas offer a service. They will protect you from idenity theft. If you don't and your idenity is stolen it could take you years to fix your credit. I hope this helps!