Question

indycargirl

Paid twice in July, hit with late fee for August?
I lost my job in late July, so to keep my anxiety low, I used savings to pay every bill due for the month of August. More than the minimum amount due on my UMB card had been paid in early July for hte July due date. In late July, I paid the minimum amount due for August.

They have hit me with a late fee and have my account in collections now for being late! WTF? They said I paid too early for the payment to be applied to my August due date. Not only can I NOT afford a late fee right now, but they're just being stupid and I'm infuriated. I've never paid late on this card.

Most Helpful Response

Try another person on the phone

Indycargirl,

Try to call the company again and speak to another representative.  This time, keep your cool.

I have excellent payment history.  The only time I have ever had a payment hiccup is when situations as you describe come up, when I paid a balance which mistakenly was before a statement date, and then didn't realize that another billing period had passed.  Since my payment history has always been excellent with my companies, then the two or three times over the past five or six years in which I've had instances like this, I have called the company, explained that it was merely a date snafu, and they in all cases reversed the late fee.  You will still have to maintain at least minimum payments to stay current, but if you keep your patience, and don't get angry, then the person to whom you speak is more than likely to reverse the late charge.

Look at it this way... if you don't get satisfaction from this other representative, then you are in no worse a condition than you are if you don't attempt it.

indycargirl

I dug around in their fine print and they require contact BY LETTER! Crazy, huh? Anyway, no reason that customer service person was so nasty to me, hopefully that's all it will take to get it sorted out.