Question

emlongworth

Paid off old credit debt, only have auto loan but low credit score. How to improve?
Here's my situation. Had old credit cards with past due bills. Have paid off all accounts. I also have a repo in my history from 2 years ago. Currently I posess a car loan, which has been paid on time, and no other debts or credit. My question is how do I improve my credit score and cause it to rise? Im currently at 580 and want/need it higher for obvious reasons. Im in a much better place now financially among other things. Should I open a credit card with my bank and only use it for small purchases? Im not sure of any other avenues for proving credit trustworthiness. Looking for help. Thanks.

Here's how your credit score is calculated:  35% payment history (late payments, on-time payments, collections), 30% is utilization, 15% is credit history (age of account), 10% is mix of credit (auto, mortgage, credit card, etc.); 10% inquiries.  If you don't have any open credit cards, that is a good place to start.  Perhaps getting a secured card to start with.  Visit www.creditcards.org for a comprehensive list of all cards available, what rates, fees and who they report to.  Also, visit www.credit.about.com to learn lots more about how to improve your credit, no sign up needed.  Best of luck!