Question

1rhr

Paid Medical Bill send to Collection - what to do? Companies involved may be scam?
I received a letter from a collection agency saying that I had not paid a medical bill. I did pay it and have proof, but am unable to reach the practice. I contacted the collection agency and supplied the proof, but they are telling me they can't settle this until they reach the practice. The Dr has retired and the other partner in the practice is no longer there and the practice is shut down. However, they operate practices in other states. I live in PA and have researched this former practice which apparently has a history of turning these bills over to the collection agency, but I have not been able to find how people have resolved this. I contacted the Dr's partner at his new practice and he indicated that they are "crooks" (his words) and that the former practice company and the collections agency are in cahoots. I do not intend to pay, but want to protect my credit, since I am unable to ascertain whether this is a legitimate collection agency. What should I do? Is there a way to determine that? Is sending a letter (UPS certified, return receipt requested) with a copy of the proof of payment (credit card statement) sufficient to fulfill my legal obligation?

Most Helpful Response

I would recommend goinging through the process of debt validation:

http://credit.about.com/od/debtcollection/qt/debtvalidation.htm