Question

Jkrul82

Paid debt to debitor but still owe money to collections
So I paid a debt to the water and power company without knowing it went to collections. They gladly took payment and thought I was clear. Collections agency called me about the water and power debt and I told them I had payed it but I still needed to pay the agencies fee which is $80. That's after what I owe to the power company was subtracted.Why would the power company still allow me to pay the debt with them if they gave the account to the agency? If my debt was paid with the power company why would I need to pay the collections agency?

Call a consumer law attorney in your state that deals with the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act). Make sure that you have proof of your payment.