Question

Erik765

Paid 5k toward credit cards, credit score went down?
Why in the world would my score go down 13 points (even though it said it raised my letter grade from D to B for utilization) when I paid $5k toward my credit card debt across a few different cards? (Going from 61% to 27% usage)?

No other reports or changes at all listed on anything...

Any ideas?

Hell, just give me the $5k back at this point, if it'll raise my score back up...

Most Helpful Response

If you have never payed a large sum on your cards at one time, they will think it is suspicious when you do.

Give them a month to settle down, they will check to see if you took out a loan or otherwise took on more debt to pay off other debt. If in two months your score isn't better then what is was before, then I would complain.

Good call.

The other bureaus have my score way up though. Is Transunion the only one who does this then?

Thanks for this info! I was in the same boat! I paid down all my utilization to around 30% and my score dropped 26 points! My heart about dropped to my toes but this makes me feel a lot better. Thanks!