Question

2G4E

Owing Back Pay Child Support
If my boyfriend owes child support and we apply for a joint secured credit card through Credit Karma will it affect my credit?

Most Helpful Response

His credit history dose not become yours when you have a joint account with him, and vice versa of course. However, his credit profiles will affect the approval of the said account and you two will share the history and responsibility of that particular joint account.

JohnnyRain127

Side note, it's usually a good idea in relationships to keep the finances separate.

I doubt it will affect your score, other than typical hard inquiry, andaverage age of credit would.

I would be VERY warry of entering into ANYTHING finiancal with a person who is not being responsible with their financies.  And there is NO excuse for a person not paying to help raise their child, or refusing a COURT order to pay something.  To me, this is not a person I would want any finacial ties to, if I was worried about my credit score.