Question

Gleno99

Opening new credit lines with a fraud alert on all 3 CR's?
A few years ago I had someone use my SSN to file fraudulent tax returns and open a Comcast account. The Comcast account ended up in collections, that is how I found out about it. I had to file a police report and send it to the 3 CR's in order to have it removed. This automatically put a fraud alert on all 3 CR's. My understanding is a regular fraud alert lasts 3 months, while an ID theft alert lasts 7 years. Can anyone verify? While I like the fact that this helps prevent someone from opening fraudulent accounts under my SSN/name, it's a real pain to get "instant" credit from pretty much anywhere. Anytime I apply for a new card, I never get an instant decision. It's always "we will mail you a decision", which really turns out to be a request from creditor for additional info to verify my ID. Once I send the ID in, they then approve me. Are there any tricks to getting around this, other then removing fraud alert?

Most Helpful Response

As far as I know, there is only Fraud Alert, I've never heard of and ID theft altert.  If you want to protect yourself permanently, then freeze your credit with all three bureaus.  I believe it is free if you've had ID theft, or a nominal charge if not.  Just go to all three bureau websites and place the freeze.  You'll get a PIN number for each bureau, keep those in a safe place.  Whenever you want to apply for credit, use the PIN number and your credit it "thawed" for 30 days, then goes back to "frozen".  I did this 4 years ago and it's been great for my peace of mind.  Had no trouble at all when I purchase my new car in 2012.

Gleno99

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that option.  So if I was going to apply for a new card, I would first contact the CR's, use the PIN and then apply for new credit?