Question

gokullu

Opening New Credit card & increasing Limit - how it will affect my credit score
My current credit score is 742. I have recently closed my auto loan and now I don't have any other debt. My only credit card is from BOFA and the monthly utilization is less about <6% and I used to pay the bill then and there. I am planning to buy a house and wondering if there is any options to bump my credit score further.
1. Can I increase the credit limit in my existing BOFA Card (may be to +5k )
2. Can I apply for a new credit card ? - This will increase my credit limit but it will be a hard hit so not sure whether this is useful and how much time it will take to affect in my credit.. as I would like to go for Home mortgage in less than 3 month.
3. Do both ?
Pls provide your valuable suggestion.

Most Helpful Response

No new credit cards

IMHO, I would not open a new card if applying for a mortgage in the next 3 months.  The lender may ask why you did this.  Your score is great and you should receive favorable rates.

If anything, go with the BofA credit line increase.  I would not risk a hard inquiry 3 months prior to applying for a mortgage.

gokullu

Do they check my credit for 'credit-line' increase as well ?

Lender looking at CL Increase

Usually, credit line increases are a soft inquiry--I will say that I have not experienced a hard inquiry when asking for one.  I don't have a definitive answer as to whether a lender will question a CL increase.  If you have selected a lender for your mortgage, ask them.  Happy hunting for your new home!