Question

d1228

Opening and closing a new credit card
I currently have 9 accounts:
Bank of America- 114 Months with $500 CL - $0 Balance
Capital One- 83 Months with $1250 CL - $0 Balance
Chase Slate- 72 Months with $500 CL- $0 Balance
Chase Freedom- 57 Months with $5,300 CL- $100 Balance
Macy's- 40 Months with $800 CL - $0 Balance
Discover- 36 Months with $19,600 CL - $0 Balance
Bank of America Cash Rewards- 25 Months with $4,000 CL - $0 Balance
Capital One Quicksilver- 25 Months with $4,000 CL- $0 Balance
Chase Freedom Unlimited- 1 Month with $15,000 CL- $0 Balance

I recently received the Chase Freedom Unlimited with $15k credit limit and wanted to close out my Chase Slate and Capital One Quicksilver totaling $4500 credit limit. I do understand that FICO looks at overall credit utilization (which is very low for me), my FICO currently stands at 809. My question is- if I close both accounts but open a new one with higher credit limit is this going to negatively affect my score? The impact of age history is not much in my opinion... Advise is greatly appreciated.

Most Helpful Response

Not sure if you aware that Chase allow you to move the CL bwteewn its credit card accounts, either in part or whole limit.

-

Similarly with CapOne, they allow you to combine their cards, however certain conditions need to be met.

-

It can lessen the scoring impact a bit, by not losing available limit and won't affect your overall utilization. I suspect that your score would drop more from opening a new account than closing 2 cards. Besides, even if it dose drop? It would most likely to recover in 3~4 months, if you aren't looking for more credit anytime soon, then it dosent matter much.

d1228

I was not aware of that, thank you!