Question

mparadiso82

"Open date" on collection account
In May, 2009 (6 years ago), I fell delinquent on a credit card. In April (this year), I received a letter from the credit card company telling me that they were selling the debt to a collection agency (I also received a letter from the collection agency). Not sure why they would wait until the debt is almost 7 years old, but whatever. Upon checking my report this month, I noticed that the collection agency is listing the account as a "new" account - is this legal? I understand that they just took over the debt, but they are not reporting the account as open from the date I originally fell delinquent - should they be?

Another question - since the collection agency took over the debt and listed the new open date, will I have to wait another 7 years for it to fall off, or will it fall off in 1 more year (one more year will be 7 years)?

Thanks in advance!

What state are you located?  Unless you're in states that have up to 10 years to collect on a debt they can't sue you which is a good thing.  Now what matters is when your first "date of delinquency" is.  That is, when was the first month/year that you became 30 days late and never paid back.  You add seven years to that then it will fall off your report.  If they are beyond that dispute it with the credit bureau's if it shows up.  Collection agency's dates really don't really matter; it's where it originated from and when that default date/year was.

If you only have one year left, then that's all you have left.  Look up what your states "SOL" is for debt collection.  What I would NOT do is try to pay it off if it's past SOL.  TransUnion if you dispute it six months before seven years will likely delete it.  Equifax and Experian maybe more like three months before the seven years is up.  Of course if you're trying to get a mortgage they'll make you pay that collection off of course every time.  

Thank you! I'm in Florida. The SOL is 5 years for credit card debt. What concerns me is that the regulating agency told me that there isn't a SOL on collection agencies - which I don't think is accurate. So you are saying that the date that the colleciton acount was opened won't matter? I was talking with someone else the other day, and they had told me that that is how companies get away with trying to collect money from people on debt that is 7+ years old. Not sure if he was right, but I'm really concerned.