Question

jfkelley

Open Credit Card Debt amounts do not match
Page: Credit Report Card, Tab: Credit Card Utilization

On the left it shows total $X for header "Credit Cards"
On the right under header "Credit Card Utilization", it shows total $Y for label "Open Credit Card Debt"

$Y is substantially higher than $X. Why don't they match? What "extra" credit card debt is lowering my Credit Card Utilization grade?

Most Helpful Response

if your accounts are "linked"

then they will show the current balances on the cards.  The other is what is reported on your Credit Report and will change as the creditors report to the CRA's  these numbers are update 3 or 4 times a month as things are reported to the CRA's

it takes 30 to 60 days for all those numbers to be updated depending on who they report to and how often. 

hope that helps

Which is which?

EddyTX,

Thank you for the information, now I know that one of the two totals for credit card debt is from the credit report and the other is just based on any additional cards I may have "linked".  (I'm guessing from this fact that the cards I "link" don't affect either my TU score or my Advantage score.)

What wasn't clear to me from your comment is that you say "they" and "the other".  Which is which?  Here are the two balances shown:

1. On the left it shows total $X for header "Credit Cards" - IS THIS INCLUDING WHAT I HAVE "LINKED"?
  2. On the right under header "Credit Card Utilization", it shows total $Y for label "Open Credit Card Debt" - IS THIS WHAT IS REPORTED TO THE CREDIT BUREAUS AND WHAT AFFECTS MY SCORES?

Thanks again for taking the time to read and respond to my post!