Question

lakeresident04

Open Collections that have been paid in full
Good morning, I have an Open Collections on my Credit Report from a Hospital bill, but this was resolved and paid in full in August 2014. I cannot get the Collections Agency to send me a paid in full receipt (as I paid with a credit card over the phone), or send the information to the Credit Bureau to show this paid. What can I do to get this resolved? I have an agreement with the Collections company to do this but after NUMEROUS phone calls to them, they now dont even answer the phone and dont return voicemail messages.

Most Helpful Response

Hi LakeResident04!

Soon, medical bills will be easy to have removed from your credit reports.  Once paid, they will be removed automatically.  

For now though, send a dispute letter to each of the credit reporting agencies.   Dispute everything.  Don't admit that you've paid this in full.  Generally, because medical information cannot be shared, the credit reporting agencies will not be able to verify the debt, and it will then remove.

Hope that helps.

lakeresident04

You mean it will just go off my report? No questions asked?

If Transunion is the only agency listed on my credit report, how do I send a dispute to the other 2?

Thank you for all your help! 

jessicah18

How soon? It's been almost a year later and I'm still waiting for this law to go into effect. Also, do you know if older medical collections are included in this? Say if I pay a medical collection last year, now, or any time PRIOR to the new laws, when the law becomes effective will ANY medical collection thats been paid be removed?