Question

Youremyonlyhope

Open collections reported without validation from collector. Next step?
I was sent a letter and a phone call in December about an account that was closed years ago. I asked them to validate it via certified mail, which they've signed. As I was waiting for them to validate it, I have come to find that they reported it so now I have an open account for that as of today. I was wondering if anyone has any advice as to what to do next? I have not received any sort of validation and am not sure what to do from here.

Validaqtion Letters should be mailed

to the Credit Bureaus. Not the creditor. 

by contacting them directly, they are now able to pursue the collection for another 7 years.  Although they signed the Certified Mail receipt, they may not follow through on suppling the requested info.

A third party validation by the Credit bureau does not reset the clock, but requires them to prove to the Bureau that they do indeed have the legal right to pursue the collection. 

Follow up with a Validation Letter to the Credit Bureau. Get specific in your requests, Ask for original signatures and proof of proper billing.  These are things that 3rd party collections can not often provide.