Question

rwatersh2o

Open an account to raise score?
Every section of my credit report has an A except my credit accounts due to only having 4 credit lines. Would it help my credit report to open a card.

Most Helpful Response

What is your FICO score?

I would first get your true FICO score (not a FAKO like what is on this site) and go from there.  If you are 740 and above, your chances are of getting a very low interest rate auto loan are solid and I would recommend not opening any new trade lines.  If you are below 740, then you could consider opening a credit card to help boost your score, but I know 2 people who have credit scores north of 800 and each has only one credit card, one mortgage, and one car loan.  Your FICO score will also bump up eventually as the auto loan ages - as FICO likes to see a mix of credit reporting (revolving, installment). 

At the current time I do not have a morgage as my home does not have a loan.  No car loan as my cars are paid off.  I have 4 open accounts with a 10% utilization peak as they are paid off each month.  I was hopeing to raise my score a little to get a good loan on a truck I have been thinking of getting.