Question

CoachTeacher

Open accounts in collection
On my financial report, it states that I have two open accounts in collection but does not give any details of those accounts. I was a victim of identity theft in 2004 and those are possible remnants from that type of activity. How do I inquire about what those accounts are regarding? If they were the result of the identity theft, how do I get them removed from my credit report?

You will have to write to the collection agency and request the name of the original creditor and ask for documentation of the debt. Once you determine that it is not your debt, and the collection agency agrees then they should voluntarily remove it. Otherwise you will have to file a dispute. Trouble with that is, the collection agency has to tell the bureaus that it is an error before it is removed. Work with the collection agency and the original creditor to prove this is not your debt.