Question

Crzylady

Only new debt is showing, but not the 4 cards paid off or down or the heloc paid off, why?
In May I refinanced & was able to pay off 3 credit cards. In August & sold my former home & paid off my $98,000 home equity loan plus paid off my major credit card which was at the max. However, these debts are still showing on my credit report plus 2 minor store credit cards I just opened 2 weeks ago are already on my report. My credit score increased by 1 point! So what, they only report the negatives, and none of the positives? Can I correct this?

Most Helpful Response

Can't erase your history.

The negatives are part of your credit history and will remain on your credit reports for a total of 7 years past the "date of last activity" (payment).  This is required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, which is a federal regulation.  The negatives cannot be erased before their designated "fall-off" time.

The positives will get reported providing you keep a continuous flow of positive activity.  Keep you credit card utilization below 20% and strive to pay the entire balance due when the statement comes in every month so you don't end up paying interest on the debt. Then your score will climb and eligibility for lower interest rates will also rise.