Question

ElectricBarbarella

One score goes up 18 points when my new credit card posts to my report, yet my other drops 52 points
I opened a new credit card (secured) through my bank in Feb. I did utilize it and paid the balance as it posted to my account. In March, when my score updated my transunion score went up 18 additional points, yay! but my Equifax score dropped 52 points, wow! why the significant difference? Unfortunately I did carry a 52 % utilization balance over into march, only because the payment had not yet posted. Will this drastic drop change ? How can I ensure that I do not run into this problem again? Thanks for the feedback.

Most Helpful Response

Hello Electricbarbarella, 

The best thing to do is go ahead and use your card, that is why you got it.  But make sure that before the statement date make sure to pay it down to between 1 - 9% of your credit limit.  Utilization is 30% of your score so it has a big affect.  Dont worry to much about small drops in score it is going to happen during your rebuild.  I know that I went though it.  Also if you can get one more card that would be very helpful.  And if you do make sure that one always shows a zero balance.

keep up the good work and good luck to you.