Question

jinstyle

One of my credit cards had it for 13yrs and I want to close it. My credit is excellent with them.

You will be hurting your credit score if you do.  The age of the account, plus the credit limit on that card are contributors to your current score. I suggest reading the articles on this site so you can understand how credit works. It is valuable information you can use for the rest of your life.

Are you paying an annual fee?   13 years invested on an account is not something you should really consider closing.   If you have an annual fee, call them and ask them to waive it.  If this is not your oldest card, and is one of your newest account, it won't have much affect on your age of accounts, however, if it is one of your older cards, it is currently a big plus to your credit score.  Also, when you drop the card, how are you going to make up the amount of credit you have on it?   Will you be requesting a credit line on another card to make up for the difference?  If there is no yearly fee, it would serve you much better in your sock drawer then cut up in the trash can.

Roll with it

It's better to keep the card. If there are annual fees then see if they can waive it? Your card might have a decent limit given the time that you have the account? If it is closed, I think the debt-to-credit ratio may take a hit and you will see a drop in your score. Use it once in a while for gas then pay it off to keep it active.

It's a curse with credit -- once you get into it you might as well ride it or else it'll hurt your score. Better not to have another card, but once one gets another card with a decent limit then it's usally better for the credit history to keep it since now it has boosted the overall limit thus lowering the utilization or debt-to-credit ratio.

If I were you, I would keep it and charge it for the smallest purchase then pay it off completely to show usage. My oldest card is 10 years, and it has $38,000 limit on it.