Question

Kylenelson24

On mothers credit card and charges to limit then pays off few months later.
Hello, I am an authorized user for my mothers JcPennys visa credit card. It was a department card then got converted into a visa. When that happen it popped up on my credit report which i was fine with becaus ethe blanace was at 0 and it was kept at that. She has a $6k limit on it and tends to max it out around the holidays and one other time during the year. After she maxes it out she will be it off within around 4 months. This past time she maxed it out my credit score went from 749 to 701.

My question is should i ask her to take me off it? I only use it maybe a handful of times a year so i dont really care to be on it. The thing that is on my mind though is if i am taken of it will mess with my credit card utilization in addition will my points drop from closing an account? Is it worth it in the long run?

It makes up around 50% of my total credit availability so i assume thats why the credit score dropped but i never have heard of someones dropping such a large amount over a 30 day period. Is this typical?

Most Helpful Response

yes, high utilization on a card can really hurt scores. I would advise working on getting another card of your own (when the card at hand is paid down and your scores are good) and then once you have obtained another card in your name, get yourself removed from this one. You really don't want to depend on someone else for your credit anyway.

Kylenelson24

Thanks for your feedback. I have several other cards, car loans, student loans, etc. all in great standing so relying on her credit isnt really my intentions. Really the card was just thrown on my credit score in the past year and never really wanted it there, but was fine with it until she jacked it up and now this happen. 

With all this into consideration do you think i should wait until its paid down then be taken off it? Because i know she wil max it out again with time.

Kylenelson24

Just checking in to see if you received my reply.