Question

eavinson

Old speeding ticket in collections
I got a speeding ticket when I was 17, never showed up on my driving record, never received anything from the BMV, so I thought I was lucky and it just didn't get filed somehow. I received one letter from a collection agency about the ticket 2 years later. I called them and requested a copy of the ticket, which they sent me. But just forgot to call them back (I was 18 and completely irresponsible.) That was in 2009, this account just hit my credit in July 2013. Can an agency hold an account that long without sending it to the credit bureau? I'm working with them now to get it paid off, but the only contact I ever even had from them was one letter, and one phone call I made to them. And if so, is there anything I can do it get it off my report once it's paid off. I know the standard is 7 years, but I couldn't find if that's 7 years from the original date of the account, or 7 years from paid off. And it has been with the same company this whole time. Thank you.

Creditors are not bound by law to report data to the bureaus, so they can hold onto an account without reporting it until a later date.  If left unpaid, it will fall off your report in 2016, 7 years from the date it went delinquent.  Once paid, they are allowed to report it for 7 years from date of payment, which means 2021.  You can ask the collection company for a "pay per delete".  Get in writing from them that they'll delete the account from the credit report with all three bureaus once you've paid it off.  If they don't agree, you can still pay it off.  A paid collection account hurts less than an unpaid account.  Hope this helps.