Question

IOP86

Old Past Due Accounts
I have read that making payments to past due accounts that have been closed for more than 2 years can actually hurt my credit score! Is that true? And if so..what do I do to get it off my report? I am trying to boost my score and my initial thought was make payments on everything I owe, but now I am confused! Please help!! Looking to buy a house soon!

Making payments on a colleciton will not harm your credit score.   Paying them off and reflected as being paid will be a benefit to your credit profile and something that creditors will want to see.   If you have been closed for more than 2 years, then you have about another 5 before they are remored as they stay on your report for 7 years.   If you are in a position to pay them off, you should contact them to negotiate a settlement, in fact, make your negotiation for a pay for delete in which case if they accept and you get it in writing then they will disappear as soon as its paid as agreed.   If they don't accept the pay for delete request then they will remain until the 7 years from the date they were initially filed.