Question

MelissaMarie21

Old debt not showing on credit report?
I came across old mail from a collection agency with a debt from 2 years ago. I don't remember if I paid it or not so I called the number on the paper and the automated system told me I owe money. If this is true, why don't I see this listed on my credit report? And why haven't I gotten any recent bills in the last year? Could it be that I already paid, but this agency is still trying to get my money? Or is it possible to owe debt and not see it on the credit report?

Most Helpful Response

Debt does not have to be reported on your credit reports. So you could owe money and not see it on your reports. Why they haven't contacted you in a year I am not sure. If it is your debt and you can afford to pay it, you might want to in order to prevent it from eventually popping up on your reports. You would want to pay it in full though and not enter payment plans and be sure to save receipt (proof) of payment if you do pay it.

MelissaMarie21

Thank you, I really appreciate it!