Question

Blizzackvigilante

Old debt collection
I have an old account opened in feb 2007 and last payment was in april 2007 they keep sending me settlement opportunities I did not see this account on my credit report through credit karma. If I pay this off will it affect my credit or just not worry about it since its been almost 10 years? Thanks

I probably wouldn't worry about it. Look up the "statute of limitations" to be sued for this type of debt in your state. If the "sol" has expired, send them a "cease & desist letter" telling them to no longer contact you regarding this debt. If the debt is within the "sol" I would just ignore the letters they send unless they are taking you to court. Do some reading on the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) to see if the debt collector is violating it. Either way, the account must not be placed on your reports as the time has expired for that.