Question

bixmix82

Old Credit Cards from childhood -- my parent's cards / not mine
I have two credit cards that have been on my account since I was a 10 year old child (1986). However, these are not actually my cards -- they are my parent's cards. For better or for worse, they are hitting some financial trouble. It all started with the housing bubble and the economy crash and they're in the hole now.

My wife and I are looking to purchase our first home, and CK puts me at about 730 for my credit score and about 780 for my wife's score. The current utilization of my credit with my wife is about 15% to 20% given the card. However, with the older cards that my parents are using, it pops up above 30%.

I know that history is important
I know that card utilization is also important

A majority of my open cards have been opened in the past year or two. Which pushes the average account age down much lower than it probably could be had I left my other accounts open.

What's the best course of action:
1) Do nothing
2) Attempt to get my parent's cards off my credit report (will hurt the age of my accounts)
3) See if I can pay down the cards somehow (~$2000 of debt)
4) Something else?

Thanks in advance!

Most Helpful Response

in these economic times a 730 apply for a house is very good....I would leave the cards till you get the house then get rid of them....and if you wanted you could boost your score by paying down your own cards down to <5% to where you total is under 30% preferably 20% if possible but once again dont sweat it 730 is good score for these economic times....taking the cards off before you get the house would crush your score best thing you can do is lower your side the best you can till you get the house then get rid of your parents cards