Question

nothingtowear

Old collections reappeared and lowered my score despite being paid off years ago.
There is an old collections account on my report that I paid off a few years ago. I disagreed that I owed the company (it was a scam by a salesperson), but because it was on my credit, I agreed to settle it for less than they said I owed. Fast forward to finding out about creditkarma.com & the Transunion dispute button. I sent a dispute & Transunion removed the entry after 30 days. However, the company then began reporting as a new collections account, & this has dinged my credit. This is just wrong in so many ways. Anyone have advice?

Do you have a copy of your prior dispute and proof of payment previously made?  Are the dates different dates?   If so, file a new dispute, if they were paid off they should not have refiled the colleciton.   I'm not sure how the credit bureau would handle them if they were removed because the colleciton agent was non response and decided after a period of time to finally respond.  I thought if they were non-responsive and did not ask for the extension which you should have been aware, you may need to check the law on Fair Credit Reporting.