Question

AuntieBee

Old Collection Debt
I have a derogatory mark from a collection agency for $100 they say I owe a hospital. I wasn't aware of it until it showed up on my credit report. At the time I was going through a bankruptcy due to death in the family and downsizing at work. This was in 2011. Will it improve my credit score if I pay it now? Does it stay on my credit report forever if not paid?

Most Helpful Response

it'll fall off from 7 years of last payment made or from last date of deliquency - whichever is most recent. It will look better to have it paid off, but it'll be on your report 7 years from the day you paid it. If you already went through bankruptcy at the same time it probably won't make much of a difference.

Debt collectors

I got a call from a company conserve saying I have a debt.But on my credit report nothing shows up? Doesn't it have too be on my report? I feel like it's a scam or something got messed up.I don't have any loans other then my car which I pay though my bank monthly.