Question

FIXINGMYCREDIT1970

Old collection account

Most Helpful Response

OLD CREDIT DEBT

Hello Shawn, You say that the debt is an old one and does not appear on any of your credit reports.  It is my best guess that a junk debt buyer is trying to collect on an uncollectable debt (one that is past the statue of limitations for legal collection --  ie --they cannot sue you or get a judgment against you for the amount they say you owe).  This does not mean they cannot try to get you pay....BUT BIG CAUTION if you make even a small payment, it resets the statues of limitations and then it WILL become legally collectible AND appear on your credit report!  Under the Fair Credit Reporting Act if a debt is charged off and sent to collections it can only remain on your credit report for approximately 7.5 years.  Perhaps that is why the debt no longer appears on your reports.  Google what the statute of limitations for your state is for credit card debt.  If the debt is past the statute of limitations and not on any of your credit reports now, I'd ignore the calls.  A junk debt buyer cannot legally put a debt back onto your report that is past the 7.5 year mark since last payment -- UNLESS you make a payment.  

How to contact a collection agency?

I have a good amount saved up in my savings and i am now looking into paying off all my debt. However, i would like them to also delete it off of my credit report. Am i able to contact past collectors that are popping up on my credit report and inform them that i am looking into paying my debt in the near future however i would need a letter stating the amount owed and once they receive my payment they will remove it from my credit report? what if they agree over the phone but they say they cant send a letter?