Question

CreditCurious2015

old active credit card?
I have an old unused credit card from 14 yrs ago, which I've discovered is still active (I recently bought a house and our mortgage lender brought it to my attention). My credit score is 820 but I have horrible credit history since I had only been using one other credit card and paying it off monthly.

Should I close out the 14 yr old credit card, or should I put charges on it?
Would it help my credit history even though I haven't been using the card actively over the last 14 years?
If I cancel the 14 yr old card, would it hurt my credit score?

Thanks!

No

No! That's an aged account which helps your FICO score. If you close it there's a good chance your credit score will drop. I hope this helps!

brandjj70

Correction! That's an aged account which helps your FICO score. If you close it there's a good chance your credit score will drop. I hope this helps!