Question

creditcuriousva

Numerous reporters for student loan
Kind of an interesting situation. 10 years ago my student loans defaulted, and I've since paid them off. However, on my credit I am showing
A) The school
B) Sallie Mae (The provider)
C) Default Company
D) "US Student Loans"
E) Write-Off Company.
(This question is from Experian perspective, TransUnion removed the 4 incorrect ones as unable to verify)

D(US Gov Student Loans) or whatever is showing as paid in full closed, however the other 4 all show as unpaid/closed. I went from A-E contacting each one (Who referenced me to the next). A Says they don't show any debt, YET when I 'Dispute' it, Experian says all 4 verified the debt.

E told me that 'We still show the debt, and until C tells us they you paid it off, we can't remove it.' C says that they are unable to notify them of that since once they write-it off it's back to the responsibility of the school.

I'm genuinely unsure what to do - The debt is paid, but each of them is reporting as unpaid. I requested them to provide me with exactly what the debt is for and they explained they're a write-off/debt collection company so they don't have access to any of that.

Does anyone have any insight? I was thinking it might just 'fall off' on the 7th year, but that will be next year and I've been trying to boost my credit this year but it's holding me back.

The student loan industry is a royal pain in the butt!!  If you just called the servicers and presented the problem to the person that answered the phone, you were dealing with a "phone drone" who has a prepared 'pat set of answers' and they have no power to do anything. Each of the loans you had taken out and paid in full will drop off your regular credit reports no more than 7 years, 6 months from the date they were paid.  If they aren't gone by then, you can file disputes online with each of the credit bureaus reporting them.  That should take care of them.