Question

foxdoc85

noticed a small medical debt (less than 100) and just got a letter stating i now owe over 200
trying to get my credit i track i put on my big boy pants and pulled my credit report and saw that i had a very small outstanding medical debt of 81 dollars, wanting to take care of any small thing i could i called the company on 04may2017 and in the course of explaining my findings to them they informed me that they could not collect because i had moved states but they had a partner that could take the payment for me if i called back on 08may2017.
before i could get the phone call in i received a letter from the partner company stating that i owe the original creditor 210 dollars.

i want to do the right thing and pay my rightful debts, but i dont want to be taken for a ride through some unethical practices by a 3rd party.

Most Helpful Response

Sounds like some funny business to me. Probably the debt collector on your reports for this is not allowed to do business in the state that you are in. I would dispute the account on your credit reports. You should read the FDCPA (fair debt collection practices act) and speak to a FDCPA attorney if needed. A "pay for delete agreement" is what you would want if you do decide to pay this. That is what I would try for, but the funny business going on here would make me suspicious of all of this too. If you do pay and send a check or money order, write something along these lines on the payment "by cashing this, xx company agrees account is paid in full and will remove from credit reports". And of course, save a record of this (a copy).

foxdoc85

I have the validation letter drafted and ready to go out tommorow, saved a copy of the letter for future use if needed as well and plan on looking up someone local that i can sit down with and try to get some answers out of, thank you for the response. the original collection agency stated over the phone they were not licensed to collect from my current state, i just didnt expect their partner to run me up a flag pole like this. again thank you