Question

elduroq9

Not sure which one of us should try applying for a credit card
My fiance and I have decided it's time to start applying for a credit card for financial reassurance reasons and to also bring our score up. We have a young son and we'd like to have the peace of mind to know in an emergency we'd have backup finance.

Problem is, both of our scores are pretty low. His is 602 due to some student loans (no missed payments or anything), and mine is 643 due to a $183 hospital bill that has been paid but wont fall off until 2018.

Because our scores are so low there are only a few cards we can apply for.

I am looking at the Discover "It" card. My score of 643 is just under the lowest approved score for this card.
The student version of the card has a much lower acceptance score, but I am not a student. My fiancee is enrolled in online college classes, so he IS a student, BUT his score of 602 is just a little lower than the lowest approved score of 604.

Can anyone give me some advice?