Question

soldierone123

Not Improving credit?
I have had 2 credit cards for over 8 years, both around same time I got them. I've been on time with payments every month, I've lowered my debt ratio, and completely paid them off multiple times. (I leave some on the card so they don't close them). The only other debt I have is from the "mistake" I made with student loans, but those have all been on time too and I've been told those are not seen as "harsh" debt.

Yet my score is constantly hovering around 680. Why? If I spend anything on my card and leave it there my score will drop to around 600 until I pay it, then when I do it goes back up to 680. Even with all of it completely paid off, a car loan paid off and never late, and a "100 percent on time payment history" my dang score won't go any higher. The banks keep raising my credit limit without me even asking though.

I ask because we are trying to get a house and a higher credit score will help us out in the long run.

There is no need to leave balances on cards to avoid closure of the accounts. All you need to do is to use them every now and then. Don't pay interest when you don't have to. Start following your FICO scores somewhere to see what they are doing. Continue to read everything you can find on credit.

soldierone123

If I don't leave it on the statement long enough then the credit companies don't note it as paid, it just notes it as good standing. I want the payment history to continue. I've also tried leaving them completely paid off for a statement and it made no change at all.

When looking at my FICO scores elsewhere it flucturates even more drastic. For example I just bought something big with a credit card, left it on there for 10 days and my FICO score dropped into the 500s..... I pay it off and its up to 640. I look at the reports and it is literally positive everything.

Is it because I don't have a major loan yet? Like say for a house or a more expensive car? (I paid off my car in 3 months instead of letting it ride out for 3 years)