Question

JAYLOUVE

No luck with disputing debt with bureaus or collection agency. PFD or negotiate w. original creditor
Looking to buy a home by the end of the yr. Last pull showed 611 middle score which doesnt do me any good. There are about 12 medical collections from 1 doctor when my wife had a miscarriage thats was misdiagnosed. Collectively they amount to about $1100. All from same creditor and all with same agency. Just multiple service dates of treatment if that makes sense. I know it would do wonders if I can get these removed (2-3 yrs old) but I made 1 payment on them like a yr or 2 ago to the agency. Wondering if I should try and negotiate with Dr. Office for a PFD or col. Agency. What are my chances for success?

Another collection item from a landlord that falsely stated we damaged the apartment we rented for 1 yr. Tried to dispute with bureaus and col. Agency with no luck. Even included the Georgia Landlord Tenant laws that were not followed by landlord regarding keeping security deposit or application thereof. (30 day timeline not adhered to by law) Col. Agency is very unprofessional and shady. Should I dispite with landlord? Or PFD with shady ghetto col. Agency.

Most Helpful Response

Collection agencies don't care how or why the debt was incurred, they only interest in one thing and one thing only, money... With medical collections, first try ask original creditor if they can/willing to recall the collections if you pay them directly. If they said "no" then you would need to deal with collection agencies, PFD? Sure you can try but the chances of it working out? usually are very low, not because CA don't want to, it's frown upon with Credit Bureaus, it can be a uphill battle with CRAs to remove them, even if you have agreement in writing with CA.

-

If you decide to pay the collections? Google "whychat" and "hippa", there is small chance of having paid medical collections removed. Be forewarned tho, the process can be long and end results may not be your liking. You can also reserch your State's law regarding "medical" collections. It's most due to protecting privacy informations of the patients.

At this point, you only options are to negotiate for pay off of the past due debts.   A bit late, although, for the landlord, you should have taken him to court if he failed the 30 day refund/notice rule in which case, he would not have been able to sue and to collect.  If both cases, try to negotiate witht he collection agencies to get the debts removed.  Your mortgage financing company will want to see these paid off and the sooner the better.

JAYLOUVE

Thanks for the insight.  I actually had a lawyer take a look at this issue for me and they sent a letter on my behalf. I should have taken the next steps. I will try and negotiate now