Question

Flstategrl04

No credit, wanting to build credit, but afraid to have hard inquiries with pending mortgage. Advice?
I have a 617 due to no credit and 23k in student loans. No past due accounts, no other debts, just no established history!!!!!. My fiancé and I want to buy a house but I am worried to apply for a credit card (to build credit) because I don't want too many hard inquires with a mortgage possibly coming into play. Please help!

Most Helpful Response

Agreed: Secured card is way to go

I agree wiht emack, go with a secured credit card. You'll need to make a deposit of a few hundred dollars which you then borrow against when you make purchases. Unlike a debit card, however, the bank will report your usage and timely payments to the credit bureaus so it will improve your credit score. There's also very little/no chance of being denied this kind of card.

Re:

Open a secured credit card.  It will add revolving loan experience and should raise your score after a few months.  Because it is secured, your mortgage lender will not see it as an increased risk.