Question

PaulHannaford

No credit history, if I go on my wife's credit card will that help my credit score?
Hi I have no credit score (credit Karma cannot provide one as I have a 'thin file') as I recently moved to the US. My wife just got a credit card (she is the authorized user as we used her credit history to get it). I am a joint user and have my own card on the account. The credit card company said they report the information to the credit card companies but they could not tell me if having the card and making transactions on it would affect my credit score I was wondering if anyone in the community might be able to advise me if having the joint account would help me or do I need to get a card in my own name?

Thanks in advanced.

The card you have now is helping your credit score because they are reporting the information to the credit bureaus.  You're doing OK so far, give it some time and after a few months you should have a credit score showing up.  That is assuming that the card you have reports to all three credit bureaus, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.  This website gets info from TransUnion so if the credit card you have now doesn't report to them, it won't show up at this website.