Question

EA206

No credit debt, but horribly low score(s).
Had a score of 715 (fully paid off car, huzzah!) up until last month. Then, I receive a medical collections bill saying I owe 30$ from 6 months ago and BOOM I'm at a lovely 597. Not getting the first bills in the post is an entirely different story, but I honestly have no clue where to go from here. I've tried researching myself and found a lot of "Pay to delete" and "Secured Credit Cards", but I'd appreciate some input.

So, here I am in the Q&A.

Bottom Line: Measly medical bill ruins my pretty good score. I want to improve/build it again, but I'm not entirely sure it's my fault (I mean, of course it's my fault I should've checked my score and saw the notice), but I don't know how to go about fixing the damage. No credit cards either.

Help! and Thank you!

If you know its your bill

Then pay it,  Get the info you need off your credit report.  It should list the address for the collection company.   AnnualCreditReport .com for free yearly copies of your credit report. 

Ask them to "please give you a chance" and ask that when you pay that they will remove the derogitory remarks.  Its seems like such a small amount that they shouldn't have a problem with it. But you never know. Since you say that you never recieved a bill they should see your side and work with you.  You can contact them by phone, but ask them to send you a written outline of the agreement before paying them . Get an agreement in writing... you want a paper trail. They can make all the promises in the world on the phone, but its what is in writing that will ultimately get put down on your credit report. 

Once that is paid and removed, your score should go back up. 

Dergos tend to have a major negative impact so you need to address the collection.