Question

Posted in Site Suggestions

tarponman1952

New credit cards drop your credit number
why tell me to add more credit cards when that is what has recently dropped my credit score? The new card was to help my daughter as a cosign but nothing more so telling me I can do a better job by picking another credit card seems odd

Most Helpful Response

Short term bad...

but long term good if you pay on time and keep utilization below 30%...10% recommended.

In order to build good credit, short term damage must occur.

It does cause a wicked decrease in your score. I got three new cards at once not long ago, and between the inquiries and the drop when the new accounts are reported, those three accounts cost me about 30 points.
Here's why: If you open new accounts, the credit bureaus don't know why you're doing it, and they're certainly not going to give you the benefit of the doubt. Their statistics have proven that many people seek credit when they are in financial trouble. After you have made a few payments on time and show that you're not utilizing a high percentage of your credit limit the bureaus will recognize you as a responsible user of credit, and you will be rewarded with a higher score. Give it a few months and you will see the improvement. Building good credit takes time.