Question

BajahoLafer

Nervous about applying for first credit card. ADVICE WANTED!
Hey everyone,
I've recently been doing a lot of research regarding starting to build credit and I could use a little advice..

I'm 19, a college student, and have a part time job lined up that I will start in a few weeks. My Credit Karma credit score is 672. I've never had a job or a credit card before but I am an authorized user on my mom's card which is why I think have any credit score at all. Since I don't want to rack up any unnecessary hard inquiries, I don't want to just be applying to cards willy nilly.

Here are the two options i am weighing out right now:

Option A: Apply for the Discover Student card and pray I get approved. I won't have any trouble with proof of address or proof of enrollment but I am worried about my thin credit history and lack of job history raising some red flags. If I do end up choosing to apply for this card I am planning on paying $5 for a look at myfico score to make sure my Credit Karma score isn't wildly inaccurate.

Option B (The obvious safer option): Apply for a discover secured card and then build credit through that before upgrading to an unsecured card.

I am only planning on buying gas and groceries and never running up a balance or charging more than 25-30% of whatever my limit is. On the "My Credit Report Card" I have A's on everything except for an F on Total Accounts, simply because I have yet to apply for an cards, as previously stated.

What are your guys' opinions on my chances of being approved for the Discover Student Card?
BE BRUTALLY HONEST; My feelings can recover quicker than my credit score:)

Hi Bajaholafer,

It's great to see that you're taking your credit score so seriously. It's really important, and being smart about your finances in college can help you for years to come. 

With that said, the Discover student cards are designed for people in exactly your situation. In the event that you are not automatically approved for the card, most credit card issuers have a direct number you can call to ask them to reconsider their decision. I suggest checking out our reviews section to learn more about the card and they types of CK members who have recently been approved for this card.

Good luck!