Question

Forge740

Negotiating the removal of an erroneous (More like fraudulent) Collection account.
There is a single collection account on my credit report. It is the only negative other than age of credit history (under 2 years). The original bill is under $900. The total (Including Collection agency fees) is over $1200. at the time I was initially billed, I disputed the charges, and letters went back and forth between me, the "creditor" and the collection agency for months, until they just stopped and posted it to my credit report.

Less than 6 months after that, I was able to qualify for a conventional Mortgage at a decent rate (under 4%), so it looks like creditors although this collections makes my real credit score almost 100 points lower than the 705/740 reported on CreditKarma, the lender did not give it much weight next to my 0 late/missed payments and nice balance of car, home and 2% utilized credit cards.

Even so. I still want it removed.

How strong a negotiating position am I in realistically?
How big a discount can I ask for before they just say: "We prefer to let it stand"?

Bare in mind, they actually deserve $0, but a partial payof will probably be cheaper and less time consuming than taking them to court.

If it is not your bill, just file a dispute with the credit bureau reporting it and they should remove it.