Question

moneyrulestheworld

Negative balance on Credit card, but the account has been closed and written off my report?
So I have (had) an AMEX card through Costco. Costco recently switched to Citi bank, & I was never issued a card or information.
Today, I learned that my AMEX debt has disappeared off my credit report (I owe them $2K). It also says my account is closed and have a $0 balance.

What should I do? Should I still pay it?

Is the account showing as "charged off" on your credit reports? How old is the debt? When will it fall off your reports? (seven year reporting time) Can you still be sued for the debt? Is it within the "statute of limitations" in your state to be sued for it? Is there a collection account on your reports for this debt?

You can always call and ask AmEx, or you can take chance by not doing anything, it can either stay gone or might popping up later as collection or worse, judgement.