Question

latina1983

Need urgent advice on how to handle Collection agency!
some company TSI was reporting to the credit bureaus for an old debt i have with direct tv, to my surprise they stopped reporting but not long after i have a different collection agency (AFNI) reporting to the credit bureaus for the same debt (they also report that the debt is from NOV 2015 which is a lie), they sent me a letter which also included my original account number with direct tv, so I called Direct TV and didn't get to speak with an actual human being, instead as soon as i entered my phone number they notified me of my past due balance of $601.12 which is the exact same amount this other 2 companies claim i owe them. The last payment i made on this account was back in July 2010 which is 6 years a 1 month ago. (Statue of Limitations in NJ is 6 years for this type of debt), my question is should I pay Direct TV directly (no pun intended), can they indefinitely report my debt to the credit agencies as long as they keep selling my debt? what guarantees me that after i pay direct tv themselves this other 2 companies are not going to keep on harassing me with this old debt. Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU I'm DESPERATE!
PS: just in case i didn't mention it Direct TV themselves are NOT reporting to the credit bureaus is AFNI (now) and TSI (was) reporting to all my credit bureaus.

Direct TV sold your debt to collection agency and collection agencies resold it couple times which is very common. The open date for collection has nothing to do with how long it can be reported to your credit report, it only goes by the Date Of First Delinquency and no other dates, the "open" date generally is when that particular CA brought that debt and report it for the first time...Pay original creditor when the debt was sold to collection agencies do nothing to change the status of collection and or the "harassment" from CA, simply because the CA now owns your debt and they have the collection authorities on that debt, not the original creditor... Statue Of Limitations are generally referred to the length of time you can be sued for that debt. According to FCRA, collection accounts can be on your credit report no longer than 7 years plus 180 days from the Date Of First Delinquency, CRA routinely would remove it after 7 years.

latina1983

Thank you for replying, the only problem is that when I called Direct TV they still own my account and I could pay them directly as is one of their options (i can pay it online as well), so if Direct Tv sold my account shouldnt they not have my account with a balance anymore?, how is it possible to owe AFNI and direct tv for a debt with the same account number and the exact amount of balanced owed? thank you! 

latina1983

The last payment i made on my account was July 2010 and my account became delinquent Oct 2010 according to my credit report.

JohnnyRain127

If the original creditor reporting an delinquent account and it was sold, than it would need to be reported as 0 balance. But in your case, original account isn't reporting at all, that led me to said it was sold and not just send to collection. I don't believe both TSI and AFNI do contract collections, they are know as junk debt buyers... Many creditors/service providers would require you to pay what was owed before reestablishing service with them again, that's why they still shows balance with their internal system, it dosent automatically means they still owns or have the collection authorities on that debt (meaning they can't change the status or recall the collection) for example, AmEx want to be paid before they would even considering you again, even tho the debt was discharged in BK... So Before you actually paying anything? Find out exactly who own that debt, ask original creditor if they are willing to recall the collection if you pay them directly, if they can't do it? It pretty much means they do not own that debt... Again, as I said before, if original creditor no longer own that debt,? Then paying them won't change the status of collection or relieving you from liability on that debt.

-

The Date Of First Delinquency can usualy be found on your report pulled directly from credit bureaus, you can also call credit bureaus and they will tell you exactly what that date is, or you can ask the original creditor.

It is possible that the account was never actually sold, only assigned.   Thus Direct TV may still hold the rights.   Ask Direct TV to send you a statement with the full balance owed, when they do this, you can pay them and they should then direct the company they assigned the debt to cancel the collection.   When the current collection agent contacts you, advise that Direct requested payment and the debt is paid and defer them to contact Direct TV.  The idea is to get this paid before the current collection agent reports it in arrears.  I doubt the original reporting will be retracted and may well stay on your report for 7 years.