Question

loknar321

Need help with an unexpected past due on credit card membership fee
Hi, I need help with a rather annoying problem. I just realized that on a credit card that expired four months ago that I have not been using at all after paying off the entire balance, that three months ago there was some sort of annual membership fee put on the account. What happened was that since I had stopped using the expired card, I had stopped paying attention to that account (which I would do regularly when I was actively using it), and apparently last week the annual fee had become 90 days past due and caused a 100+ point drop on my credit score, which I had worked extremely had to build over the last 10 years.
After noticing this through a Credit Karma notification, I paid off all the outstanding balance plus late fees online to zero out the account again, and also called the credit card company right away to let them know what happened. The representative seemed understanding and told me that she would be able to send me a letter to show that the past due on the account is no more, which I am still waiting to receive in the mail. My question is: is there a way I can restore my previous great credit score with the credit bureaus after this mess? If so, what are the steps I should take, now that I have talked to the credit card company?

Thanks for the advice!

first of all, I have to sound like a bit

like a dad and say,  Don't you realize that credit accounts don't "Expire" when the Date on the card expires, Didn't you get a new one in the mail?  There were statements sent to you each month for that Annual Fee,  and you can't tell me they didn't send you a bill,  Thats what they do as a business. So why didn't you open the statement and just pay the **** bill?

With that out of the way,  Your not going to be able to get the late pay off your report.  It actually happened so there's no justifiable reason to get it removed. Luckily for you, you say that you have been working at building your credit for the last 10 years, I assume that you have had no or very few late payments in that time. If thats the case then this should work itself out in due time.  Your payment history is based on the "law of averages", The more ontime payments you have the less a single reported late pay will have an effect,  Now that the bill has been paid it will report an ontime payment, then again next month and so on, If the late pay does not become a "pattern" then your score should bounce back realitively soon. 

loknar321

Thanks for the reply.  The thing is I did not get any mail from the credit card company after that card expired, which is really strange.  But anyway, it's in the past.  I called the credit card company last night again and they said they would file a dispute with the credit bureau, so I guess I will have to keep checking on this.  When you say now that I have paid the past due so my score should bounce back relatively soon, do you think it will bounce back to the level it was at before?  Just to give you an idea I was at a pretty decent 800+ prior to this.  How long do you think it might take to get back to that level assuming I cannot get the late payment removed anytime soon?  Will it be the full 7 years?

loknar321

and a followup question to my initial reply.  After paying off a past due account to zero it out, if in case the record of it does stay for 7 years, will my credit score still gradually go back up in the meantime assuming good behavior?  Or will it stay this low until the record of the late payment is completely gone?