Question

Jemz2008

Need help trying to purchase a home but have a closed charge off student loan from feb 2008
In 2004 my brother made me co sign his student loan I was 20 and the last payment he made was in 2008 what can I do?

Charge offs are supposed to fall off your credit reports in 7 - 7 1/2 years. If these defaults are from 2008 then this is the year they fall off. If they do not fall off when they are supposed to, pull a report from each credit bureau and then dispute the listings due to the age or in other words due to the statute of limitations. Even if they are just shy of 7 years you may be able to get them removed by "early exclusion" from one or more of the bureaus. The 7 year start date starts with the last time you made a payment, it should list on your report "date of the last payment made".

Whatever you do, do not enter into any payment arrangements with who ever is holding the debt or it may restart the clock on the statute of limitations. Maybe someone can clarify this, but I am pretty sure that could happen.