Question

bobenna

Need a car now, want a home in a year... Should I finance or pay cash?
My current score is 696, I would like to buy a home in a month, but need a new car now. I can pay cash for the car, or I can finance it. I'd like to do whatever is best for my credit so that I can have a better chance of getting a home in a year. Thanks!

The short answer is that financing the car could actually help raise your score over the next year while preparing to buy a home. That could be beneficial to you in terms of the interest rate on your home. However, the biggest thing you need to consider right now is the effect having a car payment on your total monthly expenses.
Mortgage lenders look at your total monthly payments (credit based) as a percentage of your total income. This is called the "back end" ratio in the mortgage consideration.It depends on they type of financing you end up doing but it would be a good idea to make a quick call to a lender to find out what they will be looking at and the back end ratio numbers for the various financing products. If you do speak with a lender, DO NOT let them pull credit. They can help you with this without doing that. Hope this helps.

undefined

How about reading the articles here so you can learn what is best.since the purpose of this site is to teach about credit. They do so very well because I now enjoy a very good credit score and the benefits that go with it.