Question

greyeye

My X Husband Used our Joint Cards and Now Does not Pay Them as he was ordered what should I do?
I just got divored. When my Husband moved out he began lliving off of our credit cards and even supported his new girlfriend with cash advances. He did not have my permission to do this and he his the bills from me. He maxed out both cards and was ordered to be responsible for the debt in the divorce judgment. 3 months ago without notice to me he completely stopped paying them and now my credit has been affected adversly. A card of mine was terminated even though I paid the bills on time. What should I do to prevent further damage? He basicly stole my financial identity!

Folks get this one wrong all the time.  A divorce decree is a legal document that is binding only on your and your ex.  It has NOTHING to do with your lenders, mortgages, auto loans, etc.  Until and unless you are removed from the loans (and the divorce decree wont' do that), you are legally liable.  Only option for you is to hire an attorney and get your ex back into court for violating the divorce decree.  If you haven't already, contact all creditors and try to get your name off his stuff.  If the accounts were opened jointly, the creditors may not be willing to remove your name and legally, they don't have to.  Hope it works out for you.

greyeye

That was a very intelligent response. Now my X has filed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. I am hoping I do not get stuck with the debts and then I have to sue him for reimbursement under the decree. It is all very sad. It is a shame I even put mmy name on anything of his. Now I am stuck with his mess.