Question

thenshedanced

My student loan is defaulted, but I've joined the military...
It says my student loans have been in default for a few years now. I haven't made any payments toward the amount owed. I'm looking to begin repaying, but I'm looking for the best option and how to go about this correctly and efficiently. I've joined the military (active duty) Sept 4, 2012.What are my options on how to improve my score and pay this off without further damage?

Check with personnel/pay office.

There are some provisions for repayments and possible forgiveness of part of the student loans while in the military.  You'll have to check with someone in pay or personnel because there are forms that need filling out. 

But, if you just joined, you have basic training to complete.  It's possible the forms may have to wait until after you finish basic/boot camp.