Question

shane727

My score is 526. I have very poor credit. Where do I start to rebuild?
I do not have very much money. And money is pretty tight. But I want to start making steps to fixing my credit and score. I am pretty much overwhelmed and do not even know where to start. I seem to be savvy in every aspect of my life except for finances. Which is the most inmportant. What should I do to get the ball rolling? PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Most Helpful Response

First off, find out what your credit situation REALLY is.  If you have not been checking your credit reports evey year, it is quite likely that there are erroneous entries that are unfairly affecting your credit score.  Go to annualcreditreport.com and get all 3 credit reports.  Go over them very carefully and file disputes on items that are not yours with the credit bureau reporting them.  They then have to investigate and either verify or delete that item.  You cannot dispute anything you know is yours but has bad remarks, like late payments.  Those are just a part of your credit history that will eventually (within 7 years) drop off.

Make all payments on accounts on time all the time!!

Try paying all credit cards in full when the bill arrives.  If necessary to carry a balance, work on paying it off quickly.  Try keeping your credit card usage at less than 20%  That means, if the credit limit on the card is $1000, charge no more than $200 in a month.

Hope this helps.