Question

BIGJIMBRADY

My report says I have SYNCB/JCP and SYNCB/SMRTCN. What are they? What is SYNCB?

Credit Karma’s Response

The cards you have listed are a JC Penney card and a Paypal Smart Connection card. Synchrony Bank is one of the largest issuers of retail credit cards. This company was originally called "GE Capital Retail Bank", but recently changed their name. For this reason, many accounts will show up as "new" - however, only the name has changed. Your account should reflect the original date of the hard inquiry and account opening. We wrote a blog post on this topic when the name change took place. You can read more about it here: http://blog.creditkarma.com/news-trends/its-official-ge-capital-retail-bank-is-now-synchrony-bank/

Disclaimer: Credit Karma provides general information about credit. This advice is not intended to advise about your personal financial situation. Consult a financial, legal or other professional adviser.

GE Capital Retail Bank is in the process of changing their name to Synchrony Bank. Those are your JC Penny and PayPal credit cards.

Tintdist

so what i see is that 13 months of an account with on-time payments is erased and an account with no track record has replaced it, which negatively impacts my credit score. why is the old account being erased????

pipefxer

They are aslo accounts that you may have had with Sleep Country USA.  That is where mine were from. 

kates21

This is on my Credit Karma-

Lender:

Industry:

Inquiry Date:

Status:

1. SYNCB

National Credit Cards/Airlines

Jul 31, 2012

Added

2. GECRB

National Credit Cards/Airlines

Jul 31, 2012

Removed

and I have never-ever-ever-EVER! applied for any type of airline card (as I have a fear of flying)

And of course-all 3 credit reports won't let me check unless I PAy them because it hasn't been a year-

so, should I put a freeze on my credit report?

I am a LOT weary of this Credit Karma website.

kates21

I never had a JCPEnny CC OR a PayPal CC. Never-I am thinking Credit Karma should be renamed Credit Dogma-get to the bottom of this issue-

chevellenuts

I never had a Capital credit card and my paypal credit card was paid in ful.

Discrepancy on report

Everyone mad at Credit Karma is attacking wrong company. If there's a Discrepancy you need to write the credit bureau listing which Discrepancy and showing and proof, Ie collocation bills. Anything with syncb is sychrony bank who like many others have said work with several major companies who give credit. You are shooting the messager for something they don't control. If you know you have not recently applied for any new loans or credit, yet have a new one showing, then go to the credit bureau, pay to get all three copies of your reports, and find out the discrepancies. Credit Karma is just showing what 2 reporting agency's have which can be inaccurate for several reasons. One how off ten those reporters update, which is not often. Two unless you compare all three, you may find only one shows Discrepancy, which is then the one you need to get in touch with to have removed. Credit Karma has no control nor power to make changes to your score or info on report. Only the three reporting agencies can make those changes. SYCHNB shows up for my amazon store card because really is not amazon I pay, it's https://www.mysynchrony.com they have there customer service numbers listed, as well as link at bottom of page that says. ..why has my account now moved to here. .or some thing worded similar. Call them to get more information on those charges. Don't misplace frustration on wrong target, good luck☺

SYNCB from GE Capital

People, Credit Karma is a site that allows its members to view their TransUnion credit score as well as details of their credit report.  They DO NOT and CAN NOT add/remove anything related to what you see in your credit report.  That is up to you as the owner of the report to handle directly with the credit bureaus or with the individual company you have the account with.  In this specific case, Credit Karma advised that this "new" listing information is a direct result of a name change GE Capital Bank made to SYNCB! Since GE Capital Bank (now SYNCB) is a provider of DOZENS of store retail cards, some medical credit plans, etc.  

Some of the stores who issue their retail credit card under SYNCB are: Walmart, Lowe's, Amazon, JCPenny, ToysRUs, Care Credit, Paypal, MetLife. If you want more info go to depositaccounts.com and look up SYNCB.

icuhowie

It is GE Capital Retail Bank that changed their name no GE Capital Bank.   These are 2 different banks.

Also there are no Credit Cards for MetLife.  GE Capital Retail Bank purchased the deposit accounts ( Savings, CD's etc ) from Metlife, their were no Credit Card Accounts. ( based on what I have read online )

Wait... why are you guys threatening to sue Credit Karma?  They only report scores.  Use your heads, the people you should be after the ones that are adding those inquiries.  Which they already answered on June 3, 2014.  They don't necessarily have the contact info.  You'll have to google it.

The old account is not being erased, but the name has been changed. The credit bureau will merge the two accounts, but this doesn't happen instantly. It typically takes one to two billing cycles. 

Most Helpful Response

SYNCB from GE Capital Bank

Some of the stores who issue their retail credit card under SYNCB are: Walmart, Lowe's, Amazon, JCPenny, ToysRUs, Care Credit, Paypal, MetLife. Here's more info: /www.depositaccounts.com/banks/synchrony-bank.html.

Use your heads, people.  I have both Jcpenney and Walmart cards and for MONTHS they've been notifying us (through regular mail, email,* everytime* you visit the site) that they were changing their name to Synchrony.  Why is is this so shocking to everyone.  Read your emails and statements!

SYNCB

this is GE they changed the name. as well there are many cards and companys attached to them. I originally was alerted as well until I saw I have submitted a request to care credit. They too use SYNCB. I did not us all my info and they still pulled my credit and ran an inquiry so be careful!

contact info for credit activity!syncb?!

Can we get an answer?!

SYNCB - National Credit Card/ Airlines just randomly popped up on my credit report as well date d 7/16/14 and was not authorized! My credit score has gone down due to this . There are also accounts in collection listed in triplicate. Why are there no contact numbers for us to contact the items listed on our reports? What is the point of having this service when there is no explanation as to WHAT the items are and HOW to contact them? Can you (Credit Karme) please reply to this as I see many of us asking the same question and Credit Karma not replying!!!
- Jul 18, 2014

kates21

I agree- Credit Karma will not answer. I feel a Class Action Lawsuit looming in their future-I have those **** airline CC's on my report too-I have to wait til December to be able to check my credit reports..

Credit Karma..you suck..

kma22

SYNBC- National Credit Card/ Airlines just appeared on mine too. And now I'm looking for some answers.

syncb/smrtcn

if you dont know that yet its paypal smartconnect