Question

Tobolski1

My old apartment sent me to collections
I moved out of my old apartment in June of 2016, ended my lease with military orders, paid the past due and the prorated rent for my 30 day notice and moved out. I've never once been contacted by them until I tried to move into a new place almost 6 months later when I found out I have a balance with them for an extra month and a half after I had moved out and ended my lease. I went and talked to them and they wrote the balance off as their mistake and I was able to move into my new apartment. Now 3 months after that I see they sent that payment to collections! I've had it with these people, what's my best option here? If I can sue I'd really love to because they've put me thru hell for no reason

Yes, you can sue for punitive damages, defamation of character, fraudulent business practices, just to name a few.  If it is possible; produce the receipt of your final payments as well as the pro rated payment agreement. To get your credit back in order, send them (the Credit Bureau(s) a copy of your last payment as it reflects that you paid all that was required. Also ask the Bureaus to check the validity of the debt....... Question? Was this a lease that you broke or a month to month agreement? If this was a contract of some sort: Then you may be responsible for the months you agreed to pay......... Also check the state laws about the requirements concerning a broken lease....  Hope this helps! Ps. Thanks for serving our country!

Since you left the apartment due to military orders, you should check with your branch's legal department since The Soldier's & Sailors Civil Relief Act may come into play to help you.